8 oz. Onions
3 green chills
2 dry red chillis
1-inch fresh root Ginger
1 Clove Garlic for frying
½ Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
1 tablespoon ground Coriander seeds
Sprig Curry Leave or
2 bay leaves
½ pint (U.S. 2/3 cup) Vinegar
4 thick cod steaks
FOR THE GARNISH
How to Make Pickled Fish Steaks (Machi Mugarchee)
- Finely chop onions, green and red chillies, ginger and crushed garlic.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and fry onions till golden brown.
- Add the red chillies, ginger and turmeric and fry for 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic, green chillies, coriander and curry leaves.
- Cook for three minutes and add the vinegar.
- Put in the fish and cook gently till fish is done.
- Allow to cool in its juices in the refrigerator for 24 hours.
- Garnish with lemon wedges.
- Serve cold.